Monday, February 23, 2009

Day 45 in the NICU...

So I'll start with the good news today since I always seem to start with bad news. Kamryn is doing fantastic and the Dr's think Wednesday is looking good for her to come home!!!! She passed her sleep study with flying colors and the Dr doesn't think she needs to come home with Oxygen which is a relief. She will have to come home with an apnea monitor and on caffeine and zantac (sounds like me after a night out on the town...). She passed her hearing exam and head ultrasound, now we are waiting on the car seat study, eye exam and an ultrasound of her kidneys. It's really, really hard though because as excited as we are to have her home, we feel guilty that we can't be more excited when Kayla is so sick and having to leave her behind. It is a mix of emotions that neither Kiko nor I are used to.

As for my little fighter, Kayla, she is still sick. They are going to redo her urine cultures to make sure that the antibiotics are working on the UTI and they are also going to do some tests on her intestines. They were hoping she would get better and not have to do the tests, but it's just not happening yet. They will start with a barium enema to check for blockage from the bottom up and then a contrast dye through a tube into her stomach to check from the top down. If there is a partial blockage than they will have to do surgery to remove that portion of the intestine. The hopeful news is that since she is not as distended as she was before, they are hoping it would only be a small section needing removal and they can close it right back up. If it is a bigger piece needing removal than they may need to do an ostomy, which is where they bring the two ends up to her abdomen and has a bag for her waste. The bag would need to be in place for several weeks (I think I read up to six weeks) and then they would go back in on another surgery to reattach the two ends. I'm really praying that they don't have to do surgery on her, she's been through so much already. They are also telling me that she may need to be on a special formula now and probably won't be able to have breast milk or regular formula to help her intestines absorb nutrients better. I feel like I'm on an episode of 'House' with poor Kayla...just trying to figure out what is wrong with her...
So...now the real stress will begin with having one baby home and the other still in the NICU...I've been warning people that if my number pops up on their cell phones and all they hear is sobbing on the other end, that will be my call sign to hop in the car and come save me...

3 comments:

Hollie said...

Yay for Kamryn!! I'm praying right now for Kayla and for you and Kiko. Poor little girl needs to get better and come home. I hope you have lots of people that you can call on.

Dude said...

I'm glad to hear Kamryn is doing so well. Kayla seems to need a little extra motivation, so here's a little theme song to help:

"Kayla" - to the tune of "Layla" by Eric Clapton (Unplugged version)

What will you do when you get older -
no tubes running to your side?
You've been struggling and fussing much too long;
you know it's just your preemie pride.

Kayla, you got us on our knees,
Kayla, we're beggin darlin' please,
Kayla, darling won't you leave NICU behind?

Tried to give you my lactation,
your digestion let you down
Like a mom, I fell in love with you.
You turned my whole world upside down!

Kayla, you got us on our knees,
Kayla, we're beggin darlin' please,
Kayla, darling won't you leave NICU behind?

Make the best of the situation.
Please let nothing more go wrong.
Get well fast so we can find a way
to get you home before too long.

Kayla, you got us on our knees,
Kayla, we're beggin darlin' please,
Kayla, darling won't you leave NICU behind?

Kristen and Kiko said...

Dude - That is awesome! That made me smile and I really needed that!

Hollie - Thank you for all your wonderful posts! Your little man is beautiful!