Thursday, February 19, 2009

Update on Kayla

Today has not been a good day. Kayla is very sick and the Dr's aren't positive as to what is causing it. She is having her blood checked, had a spinal tap to check her spinal fluid, urinalysis, x-rays...you name it. She is showing some signs of having a possible partial blockage on the right side of her intestine. They are going to continue watching her and doing another xray tomorrow morning. If they can confirm that she has a partial blockage, she will need surgery to remove that portion of her intestine. I don't know what I hope for...if it will make her better, than I hope that they do find something so they can fix it. It's the unknown and the "we're not sure" comments that are killing us. I don't know how many times I can hear "it's normal for preemies" or "we don't know" as an answer...it's very frustrating and scary. Poor baby has been moved back under a radiant warmer bed and has already had four IV's not work because her veins are pretty much shot. Her head is shaved in two locations from them trying to find a vein there that would work and she has little pricks and bandaids all over from other attempts at an IV. It brought us both to tears seeing her like that. Every time I think things are getting better something like this happens...I'm surprised I'm still functioning at this point.

Kamryn is doing better today, she only had one apnea episode since they started her back on the caffeine. She is tolerating her feeds and is on 8 bottles a day now!! I think they are going to try and move her to an open crib tomorrow, which is a HUGE step!! They are still getting ready to try and send her home, but the earliest will be next Friday and that all depends on her apnea episodes. In the meantime, she continues to get stronger and weighs 6 lbs, 5 oz. We tried breast feeding again today, but she was being a DIVA and not having it. We'll try again tomorrow...

I'm going to try and get some rest and say some prayers that tomorrow will be a better day than today...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just breathe, sometimes that is all you can do. Your girls are in my heart and on my mind.