Kamryn continues to do well, she's tolerating her feedings and gaining weight. She's also gone FOUR days without an apnea episode!! Woohoo!! I hope she continues to do well, but I also think she's trying to slow down some too so she doesn't have to go home without sissy. I really think there is a connection between the two of them even though they haven't been together in almost a month. When one girl is crying, the other girl will become agitated and sometimes cry too...they are both in separate isolettes too so I don't think they can hear each other or tell when the other is upset. It's not like they are competing it's almost like one sympathizes with the other.
Saturday, February 7, 2009
Poor Kayla just can't catch a break...
Our little fighter, Kayla, just keeps having all the issues. Today the Dr let us know that the PICC line in her leg was infected and needed to be removed. They aren't sure but it could be a staff infection so they are starting her on more antibiotics and running some more tests to see what type it is. So they had to start another IV and the poor baby was screaming at being poked again. On top of not being able to eat, she has to endure more poking and prodding. Then I asked the nurse about her blood counts because she looked really pale to me and sure enough...her hematocrit levels were really low so they are also having to give her another blood transfusion today. They are going to try and start her feedings again on Tuesday and hopefully they will not have to reinsert the PICC line again. The hope is that in a couple of days she will start improving and then with the additional food nourishment, she won't need another IV line...that is my prayer. It took everything I had not to cry while they were working on her...I just kept focusing on Kamryn who was also getting her bottle feed while all this was going on. Here are some pics of Kayla from today (before we found out about the infection):


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment