Monday, February 2, 2009

35 weeks...

Today would have been my 35th week if I was still pregnant...technically about the time I would have delivered if I'd been able to keep the girls inside me a little longer. It's amazing how much has gone on in those short three weeks! Time has flown by already it seems.

Kayla update: Kayla is doing better I think, but we still have another day or so of xrays to go. So far, her abdomen is definitely less distended and there is less gas in her belly and intestines. They don't see any indications of a tear or rupture in her intestines so far which is fantastic news. I hope that we caught it in time. Kayla was quite the fussy girl this morning...which to me is a good thing...I'd rather see her active and moving around than laying motionless and feeling sick. I think she's realizing that she doesn't have any food in her tummy and is getting agitated. I'd be fussy too. She is getting nutrition via IV, but the nurses all tell me that she's going to be pretty cranky the next week because they have to go another 7 days without giving her formula or breast milk. Poor baby...it made me want to cry hearing her wail like that. I can't even pick her up for a few more days either, so that made it even harder. The sad thing is, while she was screaming Kamryn started getting upset and started crying too. I was so torn because I can only touch one girl at a time and I felt like I had to choose which one to try and comfort. At least I know in the real world I'll be able to comfort both at the same time.

Kamryn update: Kamryn had another great feed this morning with the bottle. The supplemental oxygen is definitely helping her finish her bottles...hopefully she'll start learning how to breathe without the additional O2 soon so we can wean her off of that. I think they were going to try and start introducing a 2nd bottle in the evenings tonight which is another great milestone. If they do, than that means I'll get to try feeding Kamryn myself tomorrow. Up until now, an occupational therapist has been doing it since it can be very tricky feeding a preemie versus a regular full term baby. I'm very nervous...but very excited at the same time. Kiko has to work tomorrow so probably won't have any pictures of my first time feeding Kamryn but we'll try.

No comments: