Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Updates on Kayla and Kamryn

I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to post but it's been a bit hectic lately...now that I am finally home (YEAH!!!) I hope to update this blog every evening with the latest and greatest news on our little girls!! First of all I'm working on getting the pictures up somewhere for everyone to see...this blog is too limited for ALL of them that DADDY KEEPS TAKING!!!!


This is one of my favorite pictures...This is right after they wheeled me into the recovery room and brought Kamryn in to see me...this is as close as I could get but it means so much...
















KAYLA ANNE: Here is the latest on our little fighter! Kayla had minor heart surgery yesterday afternoon to repair a leak in her heart that was sending blood into her lungs. This was causing resperatory problems for our tiny girl and if we didn't repair it would not have allowed her to live. The doctors performed the surgery right there in the NICU which is amazing and took about 45 minutes but she was a trooper and everything is better now. She does have some anatomical irregularities with her heart (I don't know all the technical terms) but she's got an extra vein or something that isn't supposed to be there but they have reviewed and decided it shouldn't cause her any problems in the future. She is still on the ventilator and will be for a few more days while she heals from the surgery...hopefully they will be able to wean her off of that soon. She's still so tiny, probably only about 2 lbs right now...but she's our BIG FIGHTER right now!! Here is a picture of Kayla Anne right after being born. You can see the difference between her and Kamryn due to the TTTS. Kayla was the "donor" baby and if we hadn't delivered when we did, we most likely would have lost this little girl. I'm so thankful for my Dr and the wonderful nurses at Woman's hospital for keeping all of us safe!!
















KAMRYN GRACE: Here is the latest on our super girl!!! Kamryn keeps us guessing from one day to the next that is for sure! She is our bigger girl, weighing about 3 lbs right now. She was initially on the ventilator for several days but is now breathing only with some assistance from a CPAP machine which is wonderful!! She has been having problems with high blood pressure which the doctor's are trying to figure out. They initially thought it was due to a line that they inserted into her stomach...they removed the line and her blood pressure came right back down. However, last night and today it's been creeping back up again...the doctor's are looking into her kidney function now as a culprit so they will be doing some testing and ultrasounds tonight or tomorrow. I hope they can find something so she doesn't have to go onto any heavy duty blood pressure medication. Kamryn also started on breast milk today!! This was very exciting for us to hear...they will watch how she handles the food over the next few days as she's at risk for tearing her intestines at this young of an age so it's a slow process to wean them onto breast milk. The Dr also said that hopefully tomorrow we will be able to hold Kamryn for the first time!! I can't tell you how excited I am to be able to hold one of my little girls...wires and all!! I'm scared to death, but I know the nurses will be there to help me figure it all out. I hope to have pictures of that tomorrow! Here is a picture of Kamryn from when she was first born...she has lost some weight since this was taken, but I definitely think they both look a LOT like DADDY!!!








No comments: