Sunday, January 18, 2009

Each day is one step closer to home...

Today was a quick visit to the NICU...we got there kind of late and right before they close to visitors for an hour...so we only got about 10 minutes of time in there today before we were booted out. Bummer. I cried, I felt so guilty. I wonder if I will ever stop being emotional??? Sigh....anyway, even though it was a short visit we got some good news!

Kamryn: Kamryn was upgraded to Level II NICU! That is great news as she is one step closer to being able to come home. She will be moved to the Level II NICU as soon as there is room for her in there. Her blood pressure has been stable, however the Dr detected that her heart murmur is back. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but while we were there, I noticed her heart rate and breathing was a bit erratic...this worried me and fortunately the neonatologist was there and saw it too. He said she was scheduled for another echocardiogram of her heart tomorrow so they will make sure she is ok before moving her. She does have an enlarged right ventricle and they are concerned she may have the same leaky ductis that Kayla had...so we shall see what comes of that. She also has had a few apnea episodes since being taken off the ventilator...this is common with preemies so I'm trying not to worry about it too much. The Dr said she will come home on an apnea monitor, so Kiko and I will need to take Infant CPR classes before she can be released.

Kayla: This little girl is a BIG fighter, let me tell you! I think she got wind that Kamryn was doing really well and didn't want to be outdone! She had the CPAP removed this morning and is now just using a nasal canula for some additional oxygen...what a beautiful sight that was! I can see her little face and yes...she and Kamryn are definitely identical! She is having some problems digesting my breast milk they started her on yesterday...so they are backing off of that and going to try again a little later. Hopefully she will be able to tolerate that soon as it will help her put on weight and come home sooner.

Didn't have a chance to take any pictures today...but I'm planning to take a lot tomorrow! Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Maxi said...

Today is a new day." Have you ever stopped to think about what that means to you? Each new day provides each of us with so many opportunities to live a fuller and healthier life. And I believe that this is what is happening to Kamryn and Kayla because they feel the warmth, love, support and encouragement from loved ones.

Tita Maxi