Monday, January 19, 2009

I just LOVE my baby girls!!

I know it's obvious, but I just had to say it...I LOVE my baby girls!! Every time I hold one of them, my heart just swells! :)

Today was a good day for the girls...Kamryn was moved up to the Level II NICU and Kayla was also put on the Level II upgrade list, but she won't move up there until there is room for her next to her sister. I'm hoping to be able to take a picture of ALL of us together soon!! Here is a picture of 3/4 of our new family that we took today with Kayla!

Updates on the girls:
Kamryn: Kamryn is doing great except for the apnea episodes. She had five episodes today already which really has me worried. She had one while we were there visiting which really scared me...she recovered well, but it doesn't stop you from worrying. The doctor was going to start her on some caffeine to try and stimulate her. If that doesn't work and the apnea episodes continue, they are going to do an infection workup. This involves taking blood, urine analysis and a spinal tap. The thought of my poor little girl having a spinal tap just makes me want to cry so I'm praying that the caffeine works and that she doesn't have an infection. I just want the apnea episodes to stop whatever it takes. Other than that, she is doing great and just eating and putting on weight! Here is today's picture of Kamryn resting...she gets more beautiful every day!!


Kayla: Kayla is now breathing unassisted and doing great! She was also upgraded to Level II NICU...but is just waiting for a spot near her sister. The big news today was that both Kamryn and Kayla received their first ultrasounds of their brains. The not so great news is that both girls have what is called an Intraventricular Hemorrhage (IVH) which is bleeding inside or around the ventricles, the spaces in the brain containing the cerebral spinal fluid. IVH is very common for babies born prematurely and most of the time resolve on their own with no damage to the brain. Sometimes, it can worsen and can cause bleeding into the brain itself which can damage the nerve cells and lead to brain damage. Right now, both Kayla and Kamryn have a Grade 1 bleed on the right ventricle and Kayla has a Grade 2 bleed on the left ventricle. Grade 1 is the mildest form, indicating just a small amount of bleeding at the ventricle. Grade 2 indicates slightly more bleeding inside of the ventricle. If the bleeding worsens into the ventricle (Grade 3), than it can cause increased pressure and then bleeding into the brain (Grade 4). They will both have daily head measurements and weekly ultrasounds to make sure there is no swelling indicating a worsening of the condition. I'm praying that both girls will recover completely with no long lasting neurological effects. If it does worsen, than a neurologist will be called in to discuss our options. I believe in the power of prayers and I know so many of you are already praying for our little miracles...but if you could add this on to your list, we would all be so appreciative!! Here is an updated picture of our little Kayla...she also gets more and more beautiful each day!! Yes, I am biased :)





No comments: