Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Well, I made a decision...

...and I'm regretting it. Sort of. Kiko and I agreed that the G-tube surgery was the route we wanted to go. I told the Dr our plan, but she wasn't sure when the surgeon would be available as she was going on vacation. I told her in the meantime, we could put the NJ tube down Kayla's nose until the surgeon got back and see how she did with it. I'm regretting having done that because the tube is HUGE and it goes all the way down to her FEET!! Plus, they have so much tape over her face, all you see are her eyes and lips. Kiko is so upset and I'm not very happy about it either. They are planning to send her home in 48 hours with this setup unless she pulls it out or acts very unhappy. Well, she can't possibly pull it out because they have her swaddled up 24/7 right now so she can't get to it. I told the Dr I hated it and that it was going to impossible and inhumane to keep her swaddled 24/7 for the next 3 months and that I wanted it out. Somehow, it was communicated that I wanted her to keep this and not do the surgery. Anyway...I'm hoping it is straightened out soon...but if they do release her like this we will not be happy. I'm so tired of fighting with doctors and nurses and insurance companies and billing people.

2 comments:

Hollie said...

I'm so sorry. I hope they work with you. That sounds terrible to have the tube in her nose. I can't imagine keeping my baby the same age as her swaddled. They love to kick and move. I hope you get this straightened out soon.

Ofie said...

I don't know whether this will help but I used to work for a great Neonatologist/Pediatrician who works at Texas Children's Hospital. Her name is Dr Rebecca Schwanecke, she's a FilAmerican doctor. Maybe a second opinion from her regarding all your worries might help. Why don't you call her up and while you are at it, please tell her I said hello and regards to her family (her husband Richard, and daughter Emily). This is just a thought and a suggestion. I will continue praying for Kayla Anne. Take care.