Thursday, April 23, 2009

In limbo...

Well...at first glance, I thought Kayla was going to come home tomorrow, but it doesn't look so good now. First, she had that HUGE weight gain we all wanted...and then we all realized she hadn't pooped in three days (and she finally did and let's just say it eliminated her weight gain and then some)...so her overall weight gain this week has not been good at all. In addition, she is starting to show more signs of irritability/reflux now. So that has the Dr's scratching their heads because she is on 24 calorie formula and should be gaining weight...and the formula is so thick, she shouldn't be refluxing. They were going to just send her home on some reflux meds (that she's already been on) but they realized it wouldn't help her with the formula she's on. So now I feel like we are back to square one. The neonatologist and I talked and we both felt it would be best to try and figure out what is going on with her before they tried to send her home. I really don't want to have to just bring her back a couple of weeks later. This is like watching Groundhog Day...same thing over and over and over...

Anyway, they did a urinalysis and blood culture and everything looks fine, no urine infection or signs of anemia. They are also looking at a milk protein allergy and possibly a metabolism problem. So they are going to try different formulas (been there) and different medicine combinations (done that) again and I think run some more tests...sigh...

No comments: