Sorry I didn't post yesterday, it was kind of hectic between running back and forth to the hospital and home and running errands. Anyway, yesterday was a good day for Kayla...she finished all her bottles (slowly and painfully still) and seemed to be improving. Today was a different story. Poor baby only finished one bottle and half the other bottles so far. All of them were very difficult and painful for her. The ENT came in and did an exam on her throat and esophagus and noted that it was red and raw from the reflux which is not a good thing. That means that her reflux is getting all the way up into her throat and can cause some significant pain and damage. They did a similar exam at the last hospital and they said everything was normal...so either she's gotten much worse or they missed something. They did an incredible job with my girls so I'm not going to dwell on what happened then...I just hope they can figure out how to help her now. They are going to try a new reflux medication, I think, to see if that helps. It will take some time on it though to see if it is working. They don't want to rush into doing a surgery on her if they don't have too so we just have to wait and see how she responds.
I bought her a few toys for her crib and room to help her feel a little more comfortable in there. The nurses have been really good now with her and trying to spend more time comforting her. She is definitely a little more high maintenance than the normal preemie in the NICU since she is older and more "awake" than most of the babies. It's so hard to not be there with her all day and all night to help. It's going to be harder when I have to go back to work next week. Maybe I should play the lottery!
I don't have any recent pics, but here is a picture of me, Kayla and one of her primary nurses Jean from her time at the other hospital. I have another great picture of Kayla and Robert (her other primary nurse) but I haven't been able to scan it in yet. We miss our great nurses over there so much!!

Here is a pic of Kamryn from today...she's trying to smile now...it is soooo cute!! Sorry it is so fuzzy...I had to use my camera phone.
No comments:
Post a Comment