Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Blood Doctor...

So today I had my appointment with a hematologist to make sure all was good with the pregnancy and my APS (Antiphospholipid Syndrome). His nurse is an idiot...but I liked him. I called last week to make an appointment and she was extremely rude and I just about didn't go to see him but he's the only one in Houston that specializes in APS...so I kind of had to go. Here's a sample of my conversation with her while trying to set up my appointment...

Me: "I'd like to set up an appointment with Dr. Escobar, please".
Her: "Why?"
Me: "Um...I was just diagnosed with APS and I just found that I'm pregnant and my rheumatologist said...."
Her (cutting me off): "How do you even know you have APS in the first place?"
Me: "um...because my neurologist ran a bunch of tests and the bloodwork came back testing positive for APS. My rheumatologist said that I needed to see..."
Her (again cutting me off): "Well that doesn't make sense, nobody just tests for APS. I don't think you know that you have it because it isn't something you just know you have".
Me: "umm...okkkk....but I have the tests right here and it says I do have it"
Her: Have you had any blood clots yet?
Me: Not that I'm aware of...
Her: So why do you need to come in??
Me: Because my rheumatologist said I needed to see Dr. Escobar.
Her: SIGH...I don't know if he'll want to see you just because you seem to think you have this disease and it's just really not something that you should joke about...

WTF??!?!?!?!?

yeah, ok...so fast forward to today...I see the dr (oh and Miss "your an idiot" was there too and was just as sweet as she could be). Anyway, he wants to see me every other month during the pregnancy and to help me coordinate with a perinatologist when the time comes for the delivery. I wanted to just scream at her sitting there being all nice to me in front of the doctor when she was so terrible earlier...ugh.

Ok, I got that off my chest, I needed to vent...

Back to waiting for next week when I get the ultrasound...I hope everything is going ok down there. I keep cramping which I hope is normal. Boobs don't seem to hurt as bad, but I hear that's normal too. I have no idea what is normal at this point.

Oh and congratulations to Melanee and Chris who just found out that they are having TWIN GIRLS!!!! WOOHOO!!!! I was wrong, I admit it.

No comments: