Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Fluid in the ears...

Well, maybe we've finally figured out what has been wrong with Kayla (I hope). She has been very fussy the last few weeks, she wouldn't let us put her down at night, she had been coughing and running a low grade fever, and her reflux has been terrible!! I took her back to the dr today because I was convinced something was wrong and I wasn't going to take the standard "she's just a fussy baby" answer. Turns out she has fluid in both ears. The doctor isn't convinced it's the answer to all the problems, but at least it's SOMETHING and I'm not just a crazy mother. The only problem is she needs to be on an antibiotic and that makes her reflux WORSE!! So it's going to get worse before it gets better I think. I'm not looking forward to this at all considering how she reacted to the last round of antibiotics she was on. Last time she would scream bloody murder for hours on end because the antibiotics caused severe abdominal pains/cramping. I couldn't console her no matter what I did...and of course, the crying makes her have more gas pains and more reflux...it's a vicious cycle. I've already warned my new night nanny, Brianna, about what to expect. We'll keep Kamryn in our room while Kayla goes through the antibiotics and hope that Brianna can handle the stress. I pray and pray that she will start to grow out of this reflux stuff...some say it can take a year for her to get through it. It's extremely stressful, physically and mentally for us and I'm sure worse for Kayla. Poor baby just needs a break!!

No comments: