Friday, October 31, 2008

I don't like terbutiline (or whatever it's called)...

So Tuesday night was exciting...Kiko and I went out to dinner and I finally got to get out of the house and I started having some pretty good contractions. I had over four in about 45 minutes, so we left dinner early and I went home and laid down for an hour...but the cramping and contractions continued. So I called my Dr and she said to get down to the hospital. So Kiko and I arrived about 8 pm at the hospital and I got hooked up to some monitors in the Labor and Delivery unit. Of course, then the contractions went away...I felt like I was crying wolf. After about two hours of monitoring, the contractions came back and I was having quite a few of them, much more than four an hour...so the nurses came in and started administering drugs to try and stop the contractions. Me no likey the shots. They do a drug called Terbutiline (??) where they give me three shots, one every 15 minutes, as long as my HR was under 125 bpm. After the first shot, my heart rate shot up, I started trembling and having trouble with my head going 100 mph...I was crying and really hating the effects of those shots...but they were able to give me all three shots as my HR was right at 124 bpm. I really hope I don't have to do that again. It was not pleasant...but it did stop the contractions...which was the goal.

So I had to spend the next few days in the hospital and I got home late last night and on stricter bed rest now. I'm praying that I can keep these little girls inside me a little longer!!!

I have my next appointment on Monday where they will check my cervix to make sure it hasn't shortened and that the cerclage is holding. Hopefully it's ok and I can keep the contractions I have been having under control...or else I may be going back to the hospital for bed rest until the girl's are born...I'll do whatever it takes though!!

2 comments:

Hollie said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that. That sounds bad, but I'm glad the medicine stopped your contractions. Hopefully things will stay calm for a while. Take care of yourself.

Sue said...

They gave you a shot of turpentine? No wonder it hurt!!! (kidding). I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hope everything goes well today with the cerclage and holding those babies in! Now, strict hospital bed bedrest for you!!!!